About Me

My photo
Bengaluru, India
A common man with his own perceptions and dreams. You can contact me at aswini.mishra.romi@gmail.com

Friday, August 6, 2010

Uncle and His question.

Tired and exhausted, I went to the palace of Uncle God for some refreshment- and yes, some amusement of course. Uncle was scantily clad in old ragged clothes but was having a mischievous grin on His face. 
' So son! Enjoyed your life?'- he asked.
" Uncle, I wonder, You are so rich, still happen to lead a modest life of a pauper. If you do not misunderstand me, can I repeat the same question to You?"
 'Son, you are here only to answer. Did you enjoy or your life? Did you live it to the fullest?'

"Uncle, to be open enough, I started my life pretty well. No worries, no tension. My parents were there to serve me. I felt like a king. I got everything whatever word came from my mouth. From chocolates to dresses- everything was made available to me. Slowly, with the gradual passage of time, my parents raised their brows on my demands. No doubt, my demand had considerably increased. I was no longer fascinated by mere chocolates and little toys."

'So son, you ought to have been reasonable with your demands?'
"Yes Uncle, at that moment, I thought I was reasonable enough. They reluctantly agreed to my demands. But the happiness they felt while giving me a chocolate slowly faded away. Sometimes, they got annoyed with me. Each time they fulfilled my demands, they had some kind of EXPECTATION from me. Time passed by. I had my own family. I took the role of my parents. I had to satisfy my son's demands. After years of journey, I have come upon this stage, when I see and ask myself- ' What have I got?' "

'Oh son, you are too old to ask this question.'
"But Uncle, you are older than me!"
'No son. How can I be? Do you think that man gets older with time? In my opinion, a man gets older if he is attached to time. He enjoys what he gets from others He gives others what he himself gets. So, he enters a whirlpool a life- or in other words- a vicious circle.'
' Look at me son. I had all the riches, but I never enjoyed them. I had no family of my own, yet, made a large family. My relationship was not based on give and take. Now look at yourself son- you look older and tired, while I am still young and energetic.'
"Uncle, do you think I lived my life up to the hilt?"
'Son, it is up to you to decide, because you had only one chance.'

No comments: